Tuesday, November 3, 2009
A typical day in Shane's life
4:30a-5:00 – roosters and birds are up – and so am I, on and off
5:30a – sun is up
6:00a–6:45 I am out to run 4-6 miles. I would like to run the Boston Marathon in April and will need to run 20-30 miles/week (regular training would be >50 miles/week) while here to make that worth the effort. My gear (visor, shorts and asics ds trainer’s) is courtesy of FleetFeet.
6:45a-7:00 – stop sweating
7:00a-7:29 – shower, dress, eat. Menu includes pancakes, eggs, peanut butter and toast, bananas, cereal with powdered milk - yum.
7:29a—7:30 – work commute
7:30a-8:00 – singing, bible reading, prayer with office staff. Arturo Ku delivers a short message of good news to waiting patients.
8:00a-noon – Patient care. Some come as far as 2 hours to receive my expertise!
Noon-1:00p – lunch. Our cook, Lucy, makes some local fair for the whole staff. As predicted, it is some form of chicken and rice and beans – but everyday is a variation and every day is very good. Charity and the boys join me for lunch.
1:00p-4 – Afternoon clinic hours.
4p-4:15 – wrestling/karate with my kids
4:15p-5:30 – some sort of afternoon stroll or trip to the local soccer field. The length of the town is 1mile (I know this thanks to my Garmin101) and so it is easy for us to get around on foot.
5:30p-6:30 – Dinner
6:30p-6:35 – I strangle one of my kids
6:35p-7:15 – games (Hudson has gotten quite good at Jenga, Grattan at Perfection), reading, singing, etc.
7:15p-7:20 – I strangle another one of my kids
7:20p-7:45 – showers
7:45p-8:15 – we listen to two chapters from the “Story of the World”
8:15p – bed – eary, very early, but we are up early and lack of A/C just saps you of all energy
11p – I am awakened by something outside – I hope it won’t eat me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7:29-7:30 work commute. Haha! I love it. I enjoy your blogs. They entertain and sometimes just make me think. (I need that exercise, lol). You have a wonderful family. Take care. God bless and see you in February!
ReplyDeleteDenise
Hey Shane, I'm Ben Westcott from Richmond, VA (Denise's friend). My church & I have been traveling to Belize since 2002 to work on Cornerstone, Concepcion PDS & Cristo Rey PDS. We've also been blessed to have been able to always have our VBS at Cristo Rey, which has allowed us to build some great relationships with the kids we've watched grow. One of our church members (an RN) has even been able to volunteer at the Clinic for about the last 6yrs (I think that's right).
ReplyDeleteAnyway, Denise tipped me off that you'd be headed down to be the Clinic's physician, and just have to say that you're an answer to our church's prayers. Ever since Dr. Smith left, we've been praying that the Clinic would get enough short-term missionaries like yourself to keep the Clinic's doors open long enough for MTW to find a permanent replacement. I can gaurantee you that All Saints Reformed Presbyterian Church will be lifting up you & your family for the duration of your stay.
I have just one bone to pick with you: "6:45a-7:00 – stop sweating"? Shennanigans! It's impossible to stop sweating in Belize!!
Hey it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job down there. I'm so greatful that there are people like you in the world to help those in need. Stay safe and continue the great work:-)
ReplyDelete