
Diagnosed my first two cases of dengue fever yesterday. Seemed indistinguishable from influenza - I wonder how many cases of dengue fever I have missed in Huntsville :).
Per the CDC, dengue fever is characterized by ... "high fever, severe headache, severe pain behind the eyes, joint pain, muscle and bone pain, rash, and mild bleeding (e.g., nose or gums bleed, easy bruising)." It can also be associated with liver test abnormalities (I can order a urinalysis in our lab - one girl had bilirubin in her urine) and a relative bradycardia (ie. patient has a high fever and so an elevated heart rate is expected, but heart rate is often normal).
These two facts and the presence of dengue fever in the area made us think of it.
Treatment is the same except no nsaid's for dengue - I guess in case it progresses to the hemorrhagic type.
Not much difference between influenza and dengue, and malaria for that matter - makes for lots of fun for healthcare workers with limited resources.
Extra DEET for the kids!!
No comments:
Post a Comment