There is a strange (to me) mixture of medicine and belief here. Sometimes it is hard to think through how to think about these things.
In the first place, there are many treatments adhered to that are held over from the ancient Mayans. It seems odd to me that they would do this because the medicines I use have known chemical structures and modes of action - which my "Western" mind tells me is very important. But their medicines are similar in that they have specific indications and in many cases, proven effectiveness. It is helpful, from this perspective, to have a healthy respect for their treatments.
In the second place, there is room in their treatment for the spirit world. My neighbors wife had a headache. This was supposedly because someone sent her a bad spirit as a result of some sort of jealousy. I can't prove whether or not this is so - but I do know there are such things as spirits and demons that afflict us. "Modern" medicine, unfortunately, has removed any consideration of this aspect of our well-being.
Unfortunately, the local witch doctor (their word, not mine) who might equal me on the first count and surpass me on the second, fails on the third. Appealing to gods, the earth or other spirits for healing, he fails to acknowledge the Creator as the true source of healing.
God help me to learn. God help me to teach.
Sunday, September 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think I have become the unofficial Comment Maker to reassure you that yes, we are reading [and loving] your blog! S. made reference to it on Sunday as well. I shall do my part to encourage others to comment.
ReplyDeleteIt is neat to hear of the cultural expectations of healing there and to contrast them with "western" expectations. We are praying Hudson's prayer for you-- that you would be a good doctor and able to heal and/or help all who come to the clinic.
And, on a completely irrelavent note, now I have the Chipmunks "Witch-doctor" song stuck in my head.
Blessings to y'all-- chris f
You'd be surprised that many of these ancient treatments & resultant effects have been researched to give us an understanding of their "active" chemical structures and modes of action.
ReplyDeleteYour world of medicine is not too far from theirs.
Deirdre