Our target audience was eighth graders. She took the girls, thankfully, and I took the boys.
I discussed some basic anatomy, changes encountered in puberty and STD's. In discussing sex, I tried to stress that we are ready for it when our ability physically, emotionally, financially and scripturally all line up. Despite trying very hard to make it a talk about waiting for the appropriate time and the benefits gained from doing so, it was difficult to not sound like I was just saying "no".
And of course, them being 13-14 year old boys, no one came up after and hugged me and said "thank you, thank you, thank you, that is just what I/we needed to hear" - though I guess that would have concerned me if they did!
A side benefit in teaching this topic was that I realized that we may have been slack in educating our own children. Charity and I came across a series that starts with 3-5 year olds (Book 1), progresses to 6-8 year olds (Book 2), pre-teens(Book 3) and finishes with teenagers (Book 4)
I had no idea that I was already two book behind! The rare parent is ready for this topic.
No comments:
Post a Comment