Friday, December 4, 2009

Housing II



I had an interesting conversation with an 11 year old (Jose), who plays with my boys here.

He talked about the thin (only he pronounced it "tin") children in Africa - the ones who were starving and you could see their ribs, just like the neighborhood dogs and cows.

Anyway, this was interesting to me for a couple of reasons.

First, I didn't think it diminished the contrast in living conditions between here and home for the O'Neill's.

Second, poverty can be relative thing. Despite the lack of many material things here, there are definitely worse places in the world. I think Jose already has an idea that people like the O'Neill's have many material blessings that he doesn't have. But he also knows he has far more than others in the world.

It is good to be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment